Orange Walnut Cake
Total Time: 45 min.
2 cups walnuts
1 cup whole-grain pastry flour
¾ cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
8 medium eggs
1 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons agave, divided
½ cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons grated orange peel, divide
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix together the walnuts, flours, baking powder, and baking soda in a food processor or blender.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, butter, 1½ tablespoons agave, buttermilk, and 2 tablespoons of the orange peel.
- Combine the egg mixture with the flour mixture until it is completely blended into a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into a baking pan, and level the batter with a spatula. Bake for 25 minutes at 350°F.
- As the cake bakes, add 1 cup water to the remaining agave and orange peel in a small pot.
- Simmer on medium heat, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and let it cool completely. Drizzle with the orange syrup.